A great activity now that autumn and Halloween are almost upon is making homemade caramel apples. Be sure to ask you parents first, as you’ll most likely need both their help and their permission.
- 6 apples
- 1 ounce of caramel
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 6 sticks to place the apples upon (these can be skewers or Popsicle sticks)
- Remove the stem from each apple.
- In place of the stem, skewer each apple with a stick. Do not go all the way through the apple, but make sure to have several inches of wood embedded in the apple.
- Either butter a baking sheet, or coat a baking sheet with a layer of wax paper.
- Place the caramel and the milk into a bowl. Put the bowl in the microwave. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, breaking the 2 minutes up into 30 second intervals when you check and stir the caramel.
- After removing the caramel from the microwave, allow it to cool slightly.
- Roll each apple in the caramel until it is coated, and then place on the baking tray to dry.
- If you wish, you can sprinkle extra goodies–like chocolate chips, sprinkles or marshmallows–onto the apples.